You’re talented, clever and disciplined. We’re entrepreneurial, dedicated and amplified by ideas. Could this be love?
POSITION: GRAPHIC AND WEB DESIGN SPECIALIST
Location: Washington, DC 20007
Job Title: Graphic and Web Design Specialist
About the Position:
Design and produce highly engaging visual messaging for web, social media, and print applications to showcase the mission and voice of Halcyon, it’s programs, and for dedicated acquisition campaigns.
- Develop creative briefs, design concepts, messaging and assets for digital marketing campaigns; including but not limited to digital ads, email, social media, etc. in conjunction with the COS and marketing team.
- Assist COS to monitor and track web and social media performance to refine and improve future creative assets
- Assist COS in enforcing communications best practices and SOPs
- Keep the brand relevant by researching and recommending design trends, technical tools and applications in key channels such as mobile, social media, etc.
- Create and maintain a highly creative, flexible and collaborative atmosphere and culture, promoting continuous improvement and innovation. Must be comfortable with giving and receiving real time design feedback
- Protect, regulate, and maintain brand voice and guidelines across all channels
- Create and maintain mobile-responsive websites and landing pages
- Create functional wireframes in HTML to aid development
- Familiarity with cross-browser testing, responsive design and mobile design principles
- Familiarity working in a Mac and PC environment
- Work with COS on creative concept and collaterals for all Halcyon’s programs/initiatives to include Halcyon’s annual report
- Perform backup and maintenance of all Halcyon websites, including renewal of domains
- Maintain and enhance websites by adding and improving design and interactive features
- Manage print orders and deal with external suppliers
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related field
- Minimum of 2-5 years of advanced skill sets in digital design for web, print, and multimedia, (motion graphics and animation a plus)
- Able to produce in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated exceptional skill-sets in graphic design, typography, interface design, etc
- Experience in developing and delivering creative assets, copy and images for integrated campaigns (i.e email, landing pages, banners, etc)
- Solid understanding of production, pre-press, print and web-based technologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A self-starter who can conceptualize and design stunning materials
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Ability to remain calm while operating under tight deadlines to produce quality digital design materials to support marketing efforts.
- DSLR photography experience a plus
- Proficiency with Adobe CS software (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Premier etc.), and email applications.
To apply: submit Cover Letter, Resume, a link to your online portfolio (or Dropbox), and salary requirements to email@example.com. Include “Graphic + Web Designer Application 2018” in the subject line. Incomplete applications or applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
Location: Washington, DC 20007
Type: Unpaid Internship
Job Title: Intern
Career Level: Student
About the Internship Program
Interns will have the opportunity to learn about various components of the Halcyon program portfolio: nonprofit management, event planning and management, and project management alongside Halcyon Incubator, Halcyon Arts Lab, or By The People (please indicate program choice in your application).
Nonprofit management: Intern will learn how a nonprofit organization operates and gain insight into stewarding historical properties. He/she will be exposed to programming, writing aimed towards foundations and grants, sponsorship, and general management.
Event planning and management: Halcyon will hold events throughout the year, allowing the intern to gain first-hand experience with the planning process for events of varying sizes and purposes. Additionally, Halcyon's newly launched By The People, will offer special event and festival planning experience.
Halcyon Incubator: Halcyon Incubator provides a hub for creativity that supports fearless social entrepreneurs, allowing forward-thinkers to address 21st-century challenges and achieve meaningful results. The intern will become familiar with the workings of a start-up incubator and the field of social entrepreneurship.
Halcyon Arts Lab: Halcyon Arts Lab provides support and resources to emerging artists working on projects which address issues of social justice, civic engagement, and community building. The intern will become familiar with the workings of an artist fellowship program and the field of social practice art.
By the People: By the People is a new, inclusive, international arts and innovation festival that facilitates connection and celebrates creativity. The intern will become familiar with the workings of a city-wide festival and the field of special event planning.
In addition to the important work that interns will complete, they will have the opportunity to attend various events hosted by Halcyon at Halcyon's HQ, Halcyon Arts Lab, and various other locations.
- Undergraduate or graduate student with a concentration in arts management, business, marketing, history, or communications
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Computer knowledge, including Word, Internet, email, and Excel – special attention to social media is a plus
- Desire to participate in project planning and execution
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Good sense of humor
- Ability to commit a minimum of 16 hours per week
If this internship opportunity seems like a fit, please submit your area/program of interest, a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond promptly.