Halcyon Arts Lab
Who should apply?
Emerging artists who are interested in further investigating a socially engaged practice and creating lasting connections and partnerships in Washington, DC.
Halcyon defines emerging artists as an early career artist has demonstrated promising artistic development and demonstrates dedication to their practices but is at a pivotal point in their career where they could benefit from further training and support.
Halcyon Arts Lab Fellows should be:
- Self-directed and able to work independently but will benefit from the program elements including workshops, networking, and training to further develop their careers.
- Interested in creating new work, growing as leaders, and expanding their practices.
- Open to group collaboration, including critiques and developing programming with their fellow artists in residence and community members.
- Interested in being a part of and contributing to the wider Halcyon community, including fostering relationships with fellow entrepreneurs in residence in our sister program, Halcyon Incubator.
- Interested in expanding the social impact of their projects and creating work that demonstrates critical inquiry into social issues, and actively engages groups and communities, placing collaborative project outcomes at the heart of the creative process.
Eligibility & Program Requirements
In addition to meeting Halcyon’s definition of socially engaged and emerging artist, all applicants must:
- Be a full-time artist
- Be 21 years of age or over and not enrolled in alternate full-time education at the start of the fellowship
- Complete the online application prior to the deadline
- Attend mandatory Orientation and Kick-off event
- Participate in presentation opportunities and public programming
- Participate in civic engagement and volunteer events set up by Halcyon
- Commit to using on-site facilities and studios for a minimum of 25 hours a week
- Commit to 5 hours of weekly programming, skill series, and events
- Have a collaborative nature, sense of humor, and a willingness to work and learn in a condensed creative environment
Travel & Restrictions
Artists must commit to the full length of the residency with no more than 14 days of nonconsecutive travel. Requested travel dates must comply with program requirements including:
- Work-in-Progress Nights
- Open Studios
- Final Presentation
- Skills Series
- Other programs as assigned
Artists must not participate in simultaneous residencies during the Halcyon Fellowship or have full-time employment outside the residency.