Title: Strategic Communications Manager
Reports To: Director of Communications
The strategic communications manager leads media outreach, thought leadership, and public relations work, writes some of Halcyon’s most visible content, and is responsible for contributing to the development and execution of a cohesive long-term strategy for Halcyon’s communications in line with brand, mission, and programming.
- Lead strategy and execution for all media relations activities, including building a media relations plan, identifying newsworthy opportunities, pitching media, developing relationships with key reporters, conducting media training as needed for Halcyon team members and Halcyon fellows, and working with reporters on any placements in progress to maximize storytelling opportunities.
- Lead thought leadership efforts for Halcyon’s senior leadership team, including identifying events to participate in and placing senior leaders as event attendees, panelists, keynote speakers, etc. Align with media relations to identify moments for by-line thought leadership placements in target outlets.
- Write key messages and talking points, website language, email language, Halcyon’s annual report, and other high visibility products, possibly including scripting major events and video productions, speechwriting, writing for marketing materials, ghost writing op-eds, research products, and any other major writing assignments in line with Halcyon’s communications strategy.
- Support the biannual process of building a communications plan, identifying organizational priorities and building out a strategy to leverage Halcyon’s assets in pursuit of those priorities.
- Assist in diverse Halcyon activities, including staffing program events, recognizing that teamwork depends on occasionally stepping outside one’s direct responsibilities to support the team’s broader goals.
Minimum Education/Experience Required
Four years of communications experience required; and knowledge of the nonprofit sector preferred, but not required. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Passion for the idea of innovative solutions to 21st century problems – enthusiasm around impact-driven business.
- Proven ability to communicate articulately and creatively.
- Expert-level writing skills, including grammar and punctuation as well as ability to pick up a voice and extend it across a variety of platforms.
- Experience pitching stories to media, or enthusiasm for learning the art of media relations.
- Thought leadership experience such as authoring by-line pieces or identifying events for senior team members to speak at or participate in, or enthusiasm for building such experience.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently to achieve common objectives.
- High computer competency, including knowledge of Microsoft Office, Dropbox, and Google apps.
- Comfortable interacting with a variety of stakeholders.
- Solid problem-solving skills including identifying and recommending solutions.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities and deadlines and to pitch in where needed.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others, good sense of humor.
- Thrive on working in a fast-paced, dynamic, start-up environment.
Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends to meet program requirements.
Some travel may be required.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Strategic Communications Manager.”